ARCH stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. The past few weeks have been filled with challenging conversations about racism and we believe it is important to keep the discussions going.
There is no single method of showing solidarity in this movement, there are many ways to get involved that might feel authentic to you. We have included some resources we have accumulated online to help you get started.
So how will ARCH show solidarity with BLM?
The ARCH Community Fund will be donating proceeds of sales to a local charity to help fund mental health resources for Black people in Vancouver. The vision of ARCH is to bring others into a place of emotional healing and wellbeing, to a place of self-understanding and love, an elevated space. The ARCH Community Fund was created to help achieve this for all members of our community. We believe in the importance of access to mental health resources for local BIPOC and are invested to support in any way we can
How can I be an ally in this movement?
You can do one thing listed, you could do all things listed, you could do things not mentioned and still be an ally in this fight against Injustice.
- Sign petitions
- Donate to Black charities
- Read Black literature, the work of Black academics and critical race theorists
- Self-reflect as a non-black person and understand how your privilege may affect others
- Share on social media if you feel comfortable
- If you don’t feel comfortable talking about these issues ask yourself why.
- Participate in peaceful protest
- Get in contact with community members/leaders on how they are taking action
Resources to get you started.
Foundations to Donate to
- Black Lives Matter Vancouver
- Vancouver Black Therapy and Advocacy Fund (website coming soon, contact firstname.lastname@example.org @queenofradiosilence IG)
- Hogan's Alley Vancouver https://www.hogansalleysociety.org/donations/696/
- Black Youth Hotline https://blackyouth.ca/
- Black Health Alliance http://blackhealthalliance.ca/get-involved/donate/
More Resources for BIPOC
Vancouver Black Businesses to Support (via @Kulakitchen)
Books to read (list via Book Reviewer @RemiReads on IG)
- The New Jim Crow- Michelle Alexander
- Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
- How to be Antiracist- Ibram X. Kendi
- Just Mercy- Bryan Stevenson
- I am Not your Negro- James Baldwin
- So You Want to Talk About Race- Ijeoma Oluo
- Notes of a Native son- James Baldwin
- The Bluest Eye- Toni Morrison
- The Nickel Boys- Colson Whitehead
- Stamped- Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi
- Americanah- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Hate You Give- Angie Thomas
- The Fire Next Time- James Baldwin
- The Warmth of Other Suns- Isabel Wilkerson
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race- Reni Eddo Lodge
To Watch (On Netflix):
- I Am Not Your Negro
- The Black Power Mixtape
- When They See Us
- The Hate You Give
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Open and safe spaces are the most inviting, and that's how we want you to feel with ARCH. We would love to hear your thoughts, if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, just know your voice matters to us.
Contact email@example.com for any questions, concerns or discussion.